Day one went pretty well. I'm targeting about 1600 words per day to keep me on track for 50k words this month. Today I only reached 1300 words. I'm not that concerned because I know my word totals will be up-and-down throughout the month - I'm just hoping I don't have too big of a deficit in the final days.
What did I accomplish today? I wrote my prologue and part of my first chapter. The prologue covers the first murder that the antagonist carries out. The first chapter introduces the main character of the story, Detective Michael Rivers. There's a lot of backstory for this character and as I'm beginning to get it down on the page, I'm struggling with how to get it in without overwhelming the reader.
One thing I forgot about is how much I hate coming up character names. Working on this first chapter, I've had to come up with with about four different characters names so far. I don't know why, but I have a really difficult time with this.
I'm feeling very thankful for my outline. I spent a couple weeks working on the story and on this outline before I set it aside maybe two months ago. I have to refamiliarize myself with the story a little bit, but I am very thankful that I have somewhere to go with my writing as soon as I sit down to write. I don't have to think quite as much of the story, or what a particular chapter or scene needs to accomplish for the story.