I need some type of assembly and outfeed table. But I’ve been putting off building one, because my garage floor is so uneven. It’s sloped down towards the floor drain, and my table saw actually sits pretty far out of level. But I’ve come up with a fairly cheap and easy way to make sure my new work table stays level, with the use of some carriage bolts that will become leveling feet.
I know there a probably commercially available products like this, but I enjoyed the challenge of coming up with a solution that I could make on my own. Plus a couple carriage bolts and nuts are pretty darn cheap.
I’m reusing an old plywood tabletop that I picked up at a yard sale. It'll became the top of the table. I removed the trim and the nails from the edges, so I could cut it down. This is a little bigger than 24 by 48 inches, but I wanted my work table to be that size, to make it easier to replace the top in the future.
I had some leftover strips of 3/4 inch plywood from another project, so I grabbed those out of the scrap bin for this project.I measured and cut them to make up the frame under the table top. I wanted this to be light, but stiff, so after putting together the outside frame, I added a center stretcher. Then I added a couple smaller braces, staggering them so I could get at them from both sides with my nail gun.
The leveling legs are made up of a piece of 2x stock, with a hole drilled in it. I sized the hole so it would be a little undersized for the bolts I'm using, that way when I screw the bolts in they create threads inside the hole. The carriage bolt can then be set at the right length to compensate for the uneven floor, and another nut can be tightened up to the base of the leg to help hold the weight of the table.
I built "L" shaped legs from 2x stock, and drilled the holes for the leveling feet on the long leg of the "L." These are four-inch bolts, so I went about three and a half inches deep to give myself enough room to adjust the as much as possible. I mounted the legs on the table frame with glue and screws, working to make sure that each one was square to the table top.
I then cut down the bottom frame pieces and while I was still working on the table while it was upside down, I got ready to attach them to the legs. I used a spacer block to locate the bottom frame pieces at the same height on each leg. I then added a few scraps of plywood to become the shelf.
I took it outside and cleaned the old finish off the top. Then put a rattle can coat of flat black paint on it. Then I flipped it over, sanded the legs and put on some water based poly. I really worked on the end grain of the legs, letting it soak in.
My garage sometimes gets wet, so I’m hoping this will make the legs last longer without soaking up a bunch of water.
The angle of my floor was so extreme I actually had to remove the nut from the two legs on the high end so I had enough threads on the low end to get it level. But it’s in place, it’s level to the floor and the top is nice and flat, so now I have another work surface in the shop.
This has quickly become one of my favorite spots to work in my shop, and it's very helpful for outfeed too. I feel like I'll be safer working on my table saw with something to help hold the weight of the wood after it passes through the blade.